Breast cancer, no carcinoma found. Is it safe to conceive?

biopsy results :

i am 38 years old. My mother had breast cancer at age 59. i started mammograms at 35. i had scattered microcalcifications and cysts and had mammograms and u/s done every 6 months. Then i was cleared to come yearly. i got pregnant and had my first child at 37. I just had my first mammogram in 2 years (had to wait for 6 months until after breast feeding). they found a mass and i just got the results of my core biopsy. can you explain what the results mean and whether it is safe for me to try to get pregnant again. they have recommended i do a mammogram and u/s in 6 months. "No carcinoma found. Focal fibrosis with adenosis and columnar cell change"
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
I would like to reassure you that there is no reason to worry at present. You are currently suffering from a benign breast disease, known as fibroadenosis.
It is a common problem at this age, and as a part of it is hormone-related, sometimes pregnancy can lead to increase in size of these lesions. This is not a serious condition and usually the size of the lump decreases over a few months. Even if it does not decrease in size, no active treatment is indicated.
Your doctor has correctly advised a follow-up scan after six months, just to keep a tab on the lump.
You can certainly get pregnant again. The lump won't turn malignant by itself or due to pregnancy.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.