Breast augmentation done. Noticed yellowish discharge from nipple. Should I be worried?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I had a breast augmentation a week ago and my nipple was really sore on my right side. I had a nipple piercing from a long time ago that has been out for years. So as I was examining the nipple I was squeezing it and a yello type substance came out from piercing hole which makes me wonder with the stretching if it disrupted the home creating something inside to cause this. It doesn't look infected and besides the yellow which I believe is dying cells from a possible tear with in and some soreness. That's it. I have been washing with tersaseptic and doing 1 saline soak per day. Should I go get a culture I am pretty worried about infection and that infecting the implant. Or should I hold off and see if this resolves of gets worse.
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

As you have undergone augmentation procedure just a week ago we cannot rule out the possibility of infection here.
So better to consult your doctor and get examined, if he suggests go for culture and sensitivity and take antibiotics accordingly.
Here the possible infection to be treated and mainly spreading of the infection to implant is to be prevented.
So better to opt early consultation.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Breast augmentation done. Noticed yellowish discharge from nipple. Should I be worried? 26 minutes later
Thank you. I wasn't sure if I was reasonably concerned or acting crazy. Lol

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 hours later
The infection may or may not be there but there is nothing wrong in ruling out as that will prevent future complications.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.