Breakthrough bleeding after taking Ipill. Is it normal and how long will it last

Hi I took i pill 15 days back. From last 8 days am getting breakthrough bleeding.Its in small amount and color is lighter than normal period. Is it normal? how long it can last? I am taking Valparin chrono 300 mg also as a seizure patient. Am 31 years girl , unmarried, height 5.7 '' , and with 55 kg weight. Please help.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later

I pills can cause menstrual disturbances. Since you took I-pill 15 days ago, now the irregular bleeding that you are having is the withdrawal bleeding which happens due to the high dose of hormones in the emergency contraceptive pill. Your routine period can also be delayed by a few days. – These are common side effects of such pills.

Do not worry. This is not indicative of pregnancy or any other major illness.

I pills are not very safe when taken repeatedly. I would suggest you the use of regular oral pills (birth control pills) instead of frequent / repeated I pill usage to avoid such menstrual irregularities.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer your follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.