Brain surgery ,aneurysms clipped,decline in sexual interest and function

I had brain surgery twice last year to have aneurysms clipped and have had a huge decline in sexual interest and function - is this normal??.could someone let me know if the sexual dysfunction is normal after brain surgery
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh, 2 hours later

It won't be a new piece of information if I said 'no surgery is without any complications.' However, with due care, complications can be avoided.

In surgical clipping of cerebral aneurysms, the complications relevant to your situation could arise from either incomplete clipping of an aneurysm, or 'clipping of a normal arterial branch'. In the latter case, the brain area supplied by that branch may get less blood supply over time. And it can reflect as a decline in the functions of that brain area.

You might want to check with your Neurologist for any evidence of injury to the "inferior temporal cortex". This area is known to be associated with sexual arousal. You might also want to look at the "right insular cortex", as it is associated with the physiological changes needed for sexual activity.

An important aspect of this to remember is that brain areas often control multiple functions. Hence, if you are aware of any more changes apart from the declined sexual interest, please make a note of those for the Neurologist to make a correlation.

Hope this answer helps you. Please let me know if you have more queries.

Best Regards.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

[Disclaimer: This post is for the purpose of information only. This may not be considered a diagnosis or medical advice. This post is not intended to either create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.]