Brain scan, shows minimal scattered bilateral periventricular & subcortical white matter hypodensities, microvascular ischemic disease. Report analysis ?

Oncologist
Question
what is minimal scattered bilateral periventricular and subcortial white matter hypodensities ,compatible with chronic microvascular ischemic disease.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for submitting your question.

I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding the question you have submitted.

The findings which you have described sound like those which are dictated by a radiologist in the interpretation of a computed tomography scan. This the type of scan is very sensitive in picking up subtle changes in the brain.

The densities which are described by the radiologist are consistent with very very tiny areas of brain tissue which may have been deprived of oxygen at some point in the past. This type of finding is not uncommon to see im patients above the age of 60.

At the same time it is very important to consider the significance of these findings. At this point I think you should have a long discussion with your physician about how to address and prevent any more significant changes in the brain. The most common ways with which we prevent these types of things is with aspirin as well as with cholesterol medications. In addition it is absolutely critical that your blood pressure is maintained in an optimal range.

Again I do not think these findings are particularly worrisome unless you are having suspicious symptoms. I think your doctor may consider giving you some medication to prevent any progression of these changes. I would not otherwise be worried.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert