Brain ct scan showed left temporal fossa arachnoid cyst. Is this serious?

Hi, I am 66 and just had a CT Brain Scan. The results were:
a chronic extra axial collection over the left vertex with marked calcification of the dura. There is also a left temporal fossa arachnoid cyst measuring at least 6.9 x 3.5cm.

I have been refered to a Neurosurgeon however is it serious?
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 1 hour later

I have gone through question and have following explanation for you:

1. Marked calcification of dura: It has no clinical significance and as such does not require any treatment.

2. Arachnoid cyst at left temporal fossa: Unless it is causing pressure symptoms, it is not often treated and we keep on observation. Do provide me clinical history and details to assess its significance.

3. Extra-axial collection of fluid: Again we have to identify weather it is causing pressure symptoms or not and then decide for any treatment.

4. You have a consultation with neurosurgeon, send the observation, clinical details and detailed report of MRI.

Looks in first instance, not to be a serious but final word will come after evaluation by neurosurgeon.

Dr Pratap