Brain cancer survivor, Swollen neck gland, delayed period, vaginal discharge

I'm 24 yrs old 5'4 198 lbs Bain cancer survivor .I have a Swollen neck gland on the left side of my neck and didn't get my period this mnth and have had vaginal discharge for about 2 weeks
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Swollen neck glands in a brain cancer survivor do need a complete check up including a FNAB as the swollen glands may be indicative of a relapse or a secondary. It can be a harmless finding also in some infection of head and neck like tonsillitis or ear infection which can be ruled out after examination only.

Since you are sexually active and have missed your periods of XXXXXXX it is better to get an evaluation done for pregnancy and get pregnancy ruled out. You could get home pregnancy test done which is simple and efficient in detecting pregnancy. The test is performed using pregnancy kits which are readily available in market using few drops of early morning urine. Alternately you can consult a gynecologist immediately who will do a serum beta HCG test and a pelvic ultrasound to confirm or rule out pregnancy.

Other causes are to be considered if pregnancy is ruled out and periods don’t come. They are stress, hormonal imbalance or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause here if pregnancy is ruled out.

I would advice you to get the tests done for pregnancy first. Seek the help of gynecologist accordingly.

The white discharge you are having is most probably a yeast infection which needs oral a swell as local antifungals which can only be prescribed by your gynaecologist.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: Brain cancer survivor, Swollen neck gland, delayed period, vaginal discharge 39 hours later
What method of birth control would suggest since i mentioned I'm a cancer survivor
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

It depends on what medicines are you taking right now.

If you are not on any steroids then you can take oral pills or get an IUD inserted.

Otherwise you will have to practice barrier methods like condoms or diaphragm.

Sincerely hope this helps in solving your problem.