Brain MRI showed microvascular ischemia in white matter. What does this mean?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Rece ntly had mri of the brain. Results said some microvascular ischemia changes in white matter. My doctor told me the scan was fine. I am 70, no diabbetes, no high blood pressure, no cardiac problems, no health problems worth mentioning. What does this mean? Should I be concerned.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
"All white matter lesions do not represent a disease".
The lesions found in your case are non progressive. Thus are more indicative a benign chance finding. In the absence of any clinical signs and symptoms, the significance of such lesions is difficult to assess.

Microvascular ischaemic changes are more commonly seen in the MRI of patients who have cerebrovascular risk factors like hypertension, diabetes and high cholesterol as well those that smoke. Since you do not have any high risk factors associated, these must be age related changes.

These lesions are responsible for memory impairment (vascular dementia) in some individuals. A neurological examination to look for cognitive impairment is needed to diagnose the condition.

Hence I advise you to follow with your neurologist. He would be the best person to guide further diagnostic workup and treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.