Brain MRI report showing mild scattered chronic white matter ischemic changes. What does it mean?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
My brain mri says " mild scattered chronic white matter ischemic changes" What does that mean please
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
white matter ischemic changes

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have gone through your medical history.
Chronic ischemic white matter changes are very common age related changes in brain, which can present as memory changes etc. It is progressively decreasing blood supply in brain. It is not an emergency condition. Nothing much to worry about in most of the cases.
May I suggest

1 get your lipid profile/ blood sugar / blood pressure checked regularly as these may be detrimental if not properly controlled

2get your complete cardiac checkup to see any arrhythmia as a cause of ischemic changes in brain

3 you may need to take low dose aspirin & atorvastatin.

4. You may take some of the memory enhancer pills for symptomatic relief

thanx
dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX
director
deptt. of neurosurgery