Brain MRI normal, have not been feeling well after MRI. Could it have anything to do with the metal of my jeans?

Excellent

Nephrologist
Question
Hi, I just got an mri done of my brain at the er for suspecting stroke but it was normal. My question is I have not been feeling well after the mri. It was without contrast as well though so I know it is not that. Also, it was of my head and all the other times I just had a gown on but this time I had my jeans on and they said that it would be alright for me to keep them on. Could that have done anything with the metal of my jeans? Also, like what can an Mri do I know it messes with the brain activity as I heard it can help depression and how long would it take for the protons or whatever to go back to normal.
I just dont feel right since the Mri and I know it is that because I didn't feel like this before.
Thanks so much.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Single MRI scan of the brain does not cause any XXXXXXX change but most people do develop uncomfortable feeling because of the claustrophobia and sound.

Be in fresh air for a while, drink lots of fluids like fresh fruit juices and water. Try to keep yourself pre occupied. You will feel better soon.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if there are no further ones

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Brain MRI normal, have not been feeling well after MRI. Could it have anything to do with the metal of my jeans? 1 hour later
Hi Dr. Madhyastha,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I just have a few more questions that I forgot to ask, it does do some changes to the hyrodgen protons in your body thus causing the change in your body because it aligns to the magnetic field, so how long does it take for your body to go back to normal I know that it should when the mri is done but I dont know why I am feeling this way? I was not claustrophobic at all in the machine. I feel so much more exhausted than I did before and just don't feel right. What will the drinking the liquids do?

Thanks so much again.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 minutes later
Hello

The aligned protons goes back to its initial position as soon as the magnetic field is switched off.
There must be some other reason that you are feeling this way. I suggest you get a routine blood test ( complete blood count) and electrolytes done. Plus you could also tell me the reason why the MRI was done in the first place. What were the symptoms you presented with?

Drinking adequate fluids will keep you fresh and hydrated.

Thank you

Follow-up: Brain MRI normal, have not been feeling well after MRI. Could it have anything to do with the metal of my jeans? 17 minutes later
Hi Dr. Madhyastha again,

I went in the er for right side weakness and numbness and quick loss of speech. It is just strange how right afterwards I felt alot worse than I did before I got the test. Also, I felt heat and felt so much more exhausted and feeling out of it afterwards. This is the first time that I had jeans on when I had an Mri and wondering if that has anything to do with it? There was metal on my jeans on the button and the zipper and they said it would be alright because it was of my head?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 hours later
Hello

It looks like you have suffered from transient ischemic attack (TIA). The right sided weakness with loss of speech indicates that the lesion was in left cerebral hemisphere. I strongly recommend you to undergo further investigations like protein c, protein s, lipid profile,s homocysteine, doppler of carotids and ECHO. A neurologist is the best person to approach.
The exhaustion might be because of the TIA but certainly not because of the MRI. MRI brain will not get affected by the jeans or minimal metal on it, dont worry about that.

I hope I have answered your query

Follow-up: Brain MRI normal, have not been feeling well after MRI. Could it have anything to do with the metal of my jeans? 10 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for responding again. The mri was normal and didn't show any signs of a TIA or stroke. I will try to look further into it that for sure though.

Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 minutes later
Hello

MRI can be normal in some cases especially if taken early. MRI scans are excellent for evolved stroke but not very confirmatory in cases of TIA. Please follow my advice and approach a neurologist more so because you are still very young.

Thank you