Bowel surgery done to remove sigmoid colon. How to get rid of smelly flatulence?

I am experiencing dreadful smelly gas. I had bowel surgery to remove my sigmoid colon last October and am recovering well but the smelly wind is causing me embarassment.

I weigh 69 Kilos and am 5'10" tall. I do however love sweet things but over all my diet is sensible and well balanced but I don't eat huge amounts of food. I do take Metamucil every morning and also stool softener.

I rarely have a daily bowel movement, more like every 4 days days and then I seem to be on and off the toilet all day and my stools are always soft. If I don't have a reasonable bowel movement after 4 days I take one dose of coloxyl with senna at night. I wouldn't say I was constipated though.

Is there enything I can do to stop this dreadful smelly farting. It doesn't seem to be related to anything I eat.
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Flatulence is a common symptom encountered in one with history of surgeries over the bowel. This happens due to faulty digestion and irregular evacuation. Longer the food stays in more will be the flatulence.

Irregular food timings and increased carbohydrates in the diet also contributes much towards flatulence. It is the fermentation of the sugars by the bacteria which result in the production of foul-smelling gas.

Here I have some recommendation for you:
Do take your food at regular timings and restrict the carbohydrates in the diet.

Do take Simethicone tablets (Phazyme) 180 mg twice daily after food. This will reduce the constipation and also the gas.

Also take Bismuth subgallate in the form of chewable tablets (Bismatrol) twice daily this will treat malodor by deodorizing the stool.

If the above medications fail you may have to be placed on a course of antibiotics like Rifaximin to eliminate the bacteria which are responsible for such a foul-smelling gas.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns,