Bowel movements have slowed down after fall from boat, pain, back injury, gas, no fever

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I FELL FROM A BOAT 1 WEEK AGO MY BOWLS MOVMENT ( BM ) SLOW DOWN USALLY I USE THE BATHROOM EVERY DAY MORNING SINCE THEN I HAD 2 BM SINCE THE FALL , I MNOT IN ALOT OF PAIN ,IT HURT THE RT SIDE OF MY BACK AT LEVEL OF MY RT KIDNEY NO FEVER ALOT OF GAS BURPING AND PASSING GAS SPECIALY AT NITE
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

From the information you have provided it seems you have hurt your intestines with the blunt injury

But again it is equally true that the bowels slow down would lead to reduced frequency of motion and also gas

Now that you are passing lot of gas it rules out what we call ileus

Because you have lot of pain, I would like to know if there is any history of nausea, vomiting or any other bowel or urinary symptom ?

If no my next step will be taking an Ultrasound scan of the abdomen

Get back to me with this information and I will help you out
Till then, take more of liquid diet and rest

Follow-up: Bowel movements have slowed down after fall from boat, pain, back injury, gas, no fever 16 hours later
I DO NOT HAVE VOMITING , NUSEA OR ANY REALLY BAD DISCOMFORT ONLY WHEN I EAT I FEEL SOME DISCOMFORT AND THE FACT NOT BE ABLE TO HAVE BM 'S AS USALLY I DID 2 ENEMAS AND I WAS ABLE TO DO MINIMAL BM , AND TODAY I WILL BE TAKING MILK OF MAGNESIA MY STOMACH IS A LOT OF NOISES AND I DO U/S MYSELF AND I DID SCANN MY SELF AND YOU CAN SEE MY INTESTINES WITH STOOL AND PERISTALSIS , I AM WORRY THAT I CAN HAVE SOME LIKING OF INTESTINES TO MY PERITONEUM , ??? OR SOMETHING SERIOUS , DENIES FEVER ,NAUSEA , HARD STOMACH ,ABDOMINAL PAIN , MY STOMACH GET TENDER ONLY AFTER MEALS BUT NOTHING SERIUS , THAT I SHOULD WORRY ABOUT IT OR WHAT IS THE SYMPTOMS THAT I SHOULD WATCH FOR IT , BESIDES FEVER AND PAIN ,

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for posting your followup

It is good to know that you are a medical/paramedical personell

If there are no signs and symptoms of peritonitis why are you so scared

Take a complete blood count and see if there is any alteration

Keep watching for abdominal girth, if there is any distention or the abdominal wall gets tightened see your health care provider

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept this reply and rate it

Get Well Soon