Bowel movement problems, smelly urine, taking Movicol, stomach ache after eating. Please advise

My daughter has gone from been potty triained at 19 mth! To now producing sticky poo's that stick to her and she no longer goes to the toilet due to them not falling out but sticking to the wall of her bum. She also, now often wets her knickers before using the toilet to wee and has to be placed on the toilet rather than her thinking I need a wee i'l go to the loo. She has had a couple of water infections due to the poo seeping towards her front and her wee can be very strong and can smell. We had her kidneys scanned and we were placed with the dr who referred us to the dietician who gave her movicol and on only one XXXXXXX per day well infact half XXXXXXX she had water from her bum for the full mth of treatment, the dietician then asked us to continue treatment for another month but i refused without seeing the dr first as she had been losing nothin but fluid from her bum for 30 days and i was worried about dehydration and nutritional issues. The dr agreed to also stop but we are still stuck with the problem. She is 3 yr 4 mths old. When she is pooing she looks very sheepish and seems to struggle either holding in or trying to push out i cant work out which. She tells me it's a nuisance isn't it mummy it wont come out. This is worrying me immensly due to her having been potty trained so early. She hasnt had a proper poo for 6 mths now its bits and bobs in her knickers, going through 12 plus pair of knickers a day is not unusual. She has a very strong appetite. She often complains of tummy ache when she has eaten or drunk anything. I have used lactulose, organic prune juice, reward charts, books in the toilet. etc Can anyone pls provide some advise. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 11 hours later
Please provide me the details of her diet say for a week, history of formula feeds so i can answer more precisely. Currently from your description it appears that she has hardish stools and she may be suffering from constipation with an episode of gut infection.
Good that you stopped movicol. Do provide a stool test report if you have got it tested.
Waiting for your details. Thank you
Follow-up: Bowel movement problems, smelly urine, taking Movicol, stomach ache after eating. Please advise 11 hours later
She was breastfed until 4 months and I had to cut things out of my diet due to very bad colic. The doctors milk on prescription didn't seem to help it much either. Then she was weaned and went on to solids and the colic cleared up. She has a healthy appetite. I did a four week food diary for the dietician. She eats fruit and veg, chicken, fish & meat. Basically anything. I buy organic and freerange where possible. The stools aren't especially hard she goes to sit on the toilet and I have to try and shake it off or use paper otherwise she'd be sitting there all day and nothing would drop. She was very forward with potty training and we had it all sussed out by 2 years she was just in night nappies. I'm not sure why she seems to wet her pants now either I can understand the soiling but to me it's like she has got so frustrated she no longer has the same inclination or pride for using the toilet she used to have. She used to love jumping on the toilet and then having anyone who would look to see how clever she was. Weeing in the toilet was second nature but now you have to remind her to go on and she says she doesn't need it but will always go when you place her on. Now she hides behind a door and then you know there may be some poo in her pants shortly and possibly wee as well. It can range from skid marks to sometimes quite a bit. This week she has eaten Sunday- coco rocks breakfast Sunday dinner - beef, veg (greenbeans,carrots,caulli & brocolli tea- sandwich, XXXXXXX Monday - Coco rocks dinner - boiled egg & brown toast tea - fish fingers mash brocolli carrots greenbeans & caulli. Wednesday. same breakfast coco rocks dinner - egg & toast tea chicken & rice, XXXXXXX thursday breakfast -coco rocks dinner chicken sandwich tea fish & chips. Friday will be similar breakfast & dinner and probably wholemeal spaghetti with stewed steak and garlic bread. I try to keep her foods as natural as possible. Her fruit juice is 50% fruit juice with sugar as apose to sweetners. She does have a sweet tooth but this week i'm controlling what she has due to hearing sugar could be giving her the sticky poo. Should I get my doctors to do a stool test? She has private health care through my work so I could get her seen. Its just I didn't know where to start. The doctors just think its nothing to worry about but I know this isn't normal behaviour for her and she has not gone through any emotional issues that could make this more behavioural. The fact she has belly ache quite a lot and I have to rub it is really upsetting. She seems to get this when she has drunk a big drink or after tea.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 5 hours later
Thanks for providing valuable information to understand the situation.

The reason why i used the word constipation because she was on stool softeners like movicol, that may make them sticky too. at times she has pellet stools and really took longer times to get down.

remember, toilet training lasts till age 4 years and there are ups and downs like this; we need to be consistent.
In this case there is clear likelihood of infection, as stools are sticky and at times foul.
Definitely not like extra sugar diet,as sugar may cause little more loose but non sticky stools.emotional diarrhea don't present this way.
Sticky foul smelling stools can at times be due to fat getting undigested. this will definitely need a stool check for both infection (by doing a culture) and for malabsorption of fat.

I would recommend that try to keep meat or chicken no more than once a week, fish/ egg white is OK on daily basis. This may help in reducing fat load. Also

Often such symptoms (sticky motions with cramps/pains) do get controlled following a course of specific antibiotics.

Do get back if you have any other doubts or issues that seem unanswered. I am sure the stool test will help you confirm the reason for her problem.