Bottom lip bleeding after injury, bleeds after eating harsh food

Hello, About 2 months ago my bottom lip started to bleed. I had bumped it with a fork. It it looks like a blood blister, and since then, even if I eat something harsh my lip bleeds. It doesn't happen all the time. I can go for a few days. Then, if I bump it a little bit it starts to bleed. Its only in one spot, not the whole lower lip.
Sincerely, E-mail address YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 29 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

In cases of unexplained bleed without any significant trauma one needs to investigate the coagulation status of the blood.

There can be various causes which can cause such hemorrhages.I think you should see a physician to get clinical examination done.The doctor may initially want to check your platelet count, bleeding and clotting time.

Even blood thinning medications can cause such bleed.

Investigations to determine underlying cause can help to plan appropriate treatment.

Please ask if you want me to explain anything.