Both parents had Tuberculosis. Kids had small spots but active TB. Blood test for me showed positive for latent TB. Help?

I am 73 years old, when I was 8 & 9 years old both of my parents had tuberculosis, two of us kids had small spots on our lungs, but not active TB. I recently had a blood test that gave me a positive for latent TB. They did a xray and said I had two small spots on my lung, old calcified spots. This Dr wants to put me on IHN for 9 months. Because of my age I am afraid of liver damage. I have RA, but am willing to go with over the counter treatment in order not to be put on meds that can make my immune system susceptible to TB infection. Please help, I am in great shape for being 72 and very active. I do not want to take meds for something I do not have.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment optional

Detailed Answer:

Your doctor is right, people with latent TB especially from western countries are put on treatment with INH, however old calcified spots does not warrant treatment.

You do not have an active lesion and are not spiking fever so it is your decision to be put on treatment or not.

However I should warn you that Tuberculosis can flare up any time at a later date especially if you are put on steroids for the RA in case of an acute flare. INH does carry risk of hepatotoxicty which reverses when the treatment is stopped.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me.