Born premature with birth weight 1365g. Now 39th month and weight is 2250g. Weight is okay according to the age?

My daughter was bor pre mature in the 30th week, she was born at a weight of 1365gm.
Currently she is in her39th and her wight is 2250gm with light weightrd cothes and dyper.We are giving her Pre- nan formula feed as instructed by the doctor with approx
3 feeds per day along with. We need to know wherther thr weight is fine as per the life cycle or we need to do something extra.
she gives some jerks in the body often, need to know the reason.
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 2 hours later
Usually preterm babies lose their weight in the initial few days, regain their birth weight by the end of 2nd week, then onwards gain weight at a rate of 10 to 15 gms per day.

Since you say that the birthweight was 1.365 kg and now at 39 weeks her weight is 2.25 kg, there has been a gain of 885 gms, which is GOOD.

You might continue with same feeding schedule- pre Nan and breast feeds.
Be sure that the mother takes a healthy balanced diet with adequate water, fruits, vegetables, dry fruits and nuts, milk, egg etc.

Feed her every 2 to 3 hrs.
She should get a minimum of 8 to 10 feeds per day.
Continue with calcium, iron and multivitamin supplements as has been advised to you.

Regarding the movements, I am bit concerned if they are related seizures (fits). This needs to be ruled out by your pediatrician as your baby had IVH and fits in the past. Discuss with your pediatrician. If its just jitteriness or brief jerks that occur only during sleep, there is nothing to be worried.

Hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Please do get back to me if you have further queries. I will be happy to help you.
Best wishes.
Dr.Sudha Shree.V
Follow-up: Born premature with birth weight 1365g. Now 39th month and weight is 2250g. Weight is okay according to the age? 1 hour later
Thanks XXXXXXX the jerks i am only worried happens normally when she sleeps and very few times when she is awake.She also shivvers when she cries.
What exactly is IVH and Fits which you said happened in the past.
Do i need to consult someone.

Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 1 hour later

In the discharge summary attached, it's mentioned that there was Grade I IVH.

IVH means intra ventricular hemorrhage, which in simple terms means bleeding inside the brain. This is quite commonly seen in pre-terms.
Grade- I means it was very minimal in severity.

It`s also mentioned that there was seizure like (fits) movement seen on 4th day.
Fits or seizures usually occurs when there is some problem in the brain.

Regarding the movements, the shivering during crying is likely to be normal.

For the jerks, I would suggest that a video recording may be done and then discussed with your Pediatrician or a Pediatric Neurologist.

Usually the jerks that happen only during sleep and disappear when baby is awake are benign and need no intervention.

Since you say it happens even when the baby is awake and she had some problems in the new born period and she is already on medication for fits (Gardenal), it`s better to consult a Pediatrician/ Pediatric Neurologist.

Hope my answer helps.
Best wishes.
the report says the seizure episode was discovered but later no episode of seizure was found. the reason i am cautious because as per doctor literature there are chances of blood clot in pre term babies but they also dissapear along. in my case it dissapeared but how come again it is concerned.

kindly clear my doubt.

Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 8 hours later

I can understand your concerns.

Usually Grade I IVH is very benign i.e. does not cause any problem.

But the jerks that persist even when the baby is awake has to be looked into to rule out seizures (fits). In such a case the cause has to be looked into. EEG, repeat neurosonogram may be done if needed.

In my humble opinion, its better that you make a video recording of the jerks (Both during sleep and when baby is awake) and then discuss with your doctor. Further decisions can be made after that.

If jerks are found to be benign, there is no need to worry.

Best wishes.
Dr. Sudha Shree.V