Ask a Urologist   »  

Born premature, have pain in lower back below rib cage above waist. Suspect of urinary or kidney infection

hi i was born premature and someone was telling me the other day that when as a baby and born early your lungs and intestines were developed later than everything else and lately i have been having sharp pains in my lower back right below my rib cage and above my waist line and i thought it was a urinary or kidney infection and the pain comes and goes do u know what it could be
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kidney or ureteric stones or gall bladder stones.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

Your symptoms do not seem to be due to premature delivery.
Though you were born prematurely, but all the organs of the body develop normally and there is no delay or abnormality as such. And I strongly say your current symptoms are unrelated to your premature delivery.

I feel, the sharp pains which are present in your lower back could be due to kidney stones or ureteric stones or due to stones in the gall bladder (cholelithiasis), small stones less than 1 centimeter usually present with similar complaints. To diagnose your condition you need an ultrasound abdomen & pelvis and also a urine microscopy & culture.

Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!