Born premature and could not feed. So fed with formula one. Now baby breast feeding. Having lot of pain feeding. What to do?

Feb 2013

I'm XXXXXXX My son was born on 24th of july 2013. We tried a lot but as he was premature and very weak(1.8 kg), he could not latch and thus i could not breast feed. Milk was oozing from my breast but i was not able to breast feed. i started giving formula feed to my son. I did not use breast pump as well.Very occasionlly, i would press my breast and take out milk and feed him with a spoon. I 'm still spoon feeding my son with formula.Very recently my son has started latching and he is able to suck. since last 5 days, he is taking my milk for some minutes every day.But i'm feeling a lot of pain in my nipples while he sucks. someone suggested soframycin for my breasts. please help. i want to exclusively breast feed instead of formula feeding.
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proper latching of nipple and areola.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

First I would like to appreciate you for trying to give exclusive breast feeds to the child instead of formula feeding.

Pain in your nipples may be due to improper latching of nipple and areola by the child while taking feeds.

Improper latching on nipples causes soreness leading to pain.

So before feeding I advise you to sit comfortably in a chair and make the child to latch properly to cover the cover the complete nipple and part of areola.

Proper latching means the complete nipple and much part of areola should go into the child oral cavity while feeding.

And you can feed the child alternatively on breasts so that the soreness on nipple get time to heal.

And after feeding, wash the nipples with clean water and allow them to dry.

In spite of all these measures, if the pain persists on nipples, look for any cracks on nipples and examine the child oral cavity for the presence of oral thrush.

If you find any cracks or thrush, consult the doctor for examination and its treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.