Borderline blood pressure,heaviness in head,numbness,hypertension

I am 34 yrs old Male & have borderline BP with reading around 130/ 90 most of the times I have checked, the problem is somtimes i.e. in gap of every few days I I feel little pressure/ heaviness in both temples & numbness sort of feeling under my eyes around cheek bones sometimes followed with little head ache (only in the temples area), can you please avice the possible reason ?? P.S: I do regular exercises including 2.4 KM Jogging (Tread Mill) with some weights followed with Kapal XXXXXXX Yoga..(atleast 5 days/ week)
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

A borderline BP reading of 130/90 with intermittent heaviness in head and temples needs complete investigations including blood sugar, cholesterol, ECG, renal function tests, etc under the guidance of your physician to rule out any complicating factors and the effect these high readings have produced on your body.

Intermittent rise in blood pressure is more XXXXXXX than a sustained raised levels of blood pressure. To stop these levels from such fluctuations you need anti hypertensive drugs after your complete evaluation.

The heaviness in the head and the numbness that you are feeling might be due to fluctuations of blood pressure only.

Walking around is a mild exercise which diverts the blood flow to your extremities thus decreasing the cardiac work load. It helps in maintaining a constant reading of blood pressure. It is best to indulge in such light exercise at least five days a week. Jogging increases the cardiac work load thus increasing the blood pressure.

Reducing fatty foods, salt and increasing citrus fruits, garlic, fish, brown rice in your diet helps. Also avoid smoking, alcohol and stress. Try yoga ( relaxing exercises), meditation and reduce your weight to lower your blood pressure.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Borderline blood pressure,heaviness in head,numbness,hypertension 12 minutes later
Sorry I forgot to mention I started taking mild medicine for Hypertension under my physician advice but had to discontinue after sometime as I started feeling uncomfortable & dizzy as my BP started going low..Also I got my complete body scan from Dr. Path LAB around 3 yrs back & again an annual check up done around 2 yrs back & all reports came normal then... but still I get this heaviness in temples & around cheek bones after every few days/month..
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

All the anti hypertensive medicines do decrease the raised blood pressure but does have the properties of causing low BP too. Feeling of dizziness might also be due to some other reasons like infection, weakness, etc.

My advise would be to get all the tests repeated under the guidance of a physician including ECG so that proper evaluation of the tests can be done.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Borderline blood pressure,heaviness in head,numbness,hypertension 43 hours later
Ok will get the tests done once again though I am quiet sure they will come normal as before also they were done under advice of our family physician, further are you sure I should stop jogging/ running as according to best of my knowledge people who run faster have better effect on heart pumping blood faster & thus making arteries & heart stronger & lowering blood presure..& still if you think I should do walking or lighter exercises then please advice till what spped I should probably do treadmill on scale of 0 - 12, thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

I am suggesting you for a lighter exercise only because you have a fluctuating blood pressure.

You should avoid heavy exercise until your blood pressure becomes stable.

Regarding the severity of exercise, the exercise should not raise your resting heart rate by more than 25%. You need to count your resting heart rate and after doing treadmill exercise to find out the level.