Bones in back making crackling sound. What is the problem?

Question
On some days while sleeping I wake up and feel that my bones in the back have made a crackling sound and might have moved. What could be the problem and any solutions for the same.
Thanks!
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 12 minutes later

Do you have any other back related symptoms like backache or muscle spasm?
Any previous history of back issues or trauma?

Please provide more information, so that I can answer your question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Bones in back making crackling sound. What is the problem? 22 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Nothing specific that I am re-call. At times after a tiring day I get pain in the lower back which is fine by morning.

Hope it helps.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 38 minutes later

Since there are no symptoms, this is nothing to be concerned about this.Sometimes gliding of inter-vertebral joints can cause such sounds and there is nothing wrong in it.

Hope that answers your question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Bones in back making crackling sound. What is the problem? 27 hours later
hi,

somewhere i read that these sounds are not good for the body. Please give me your opinion along with any possible explanation as i am worried.
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 hours later

If this is making you anxious then best way to relieve your anxiety and confirming that everything is normal, you can consider to get a MRI of back/spine done.

Such sounds should be cause of concern only when there are associated back symptoms.Mere presence of sound doesn't mean you will have health issues in future.

Regards.