Bone density test normal. Identical twin was diagnosed with mild osteoporosis. Do I need another test?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a bone density test done, but the one I had was putting my hand in something, that took only a few minutes. I feel that is not as thorough as the one taken of the hips & back. When I called the doctors office the girl at the front desk said it was normal. The reason why I'm concerned, I have an identical twin sister who had the other Bone Density test done, that was more thorough, and it showed that she has a mild osteoporosis and her doctor put her on ibandonate pills which she has to take once a month, and he also told her she has to take 2000mg of vitamin D. Being that we are identical, I thought that would be generic. Her doctor is more thorough than mine. Do you think I should have another bone density test taken.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Different procedures can be followed to detect the bone density. It can be done on the hip bone, the heel or the wrist. All the methods of the test are accurate and give a fair idea regarding the bone density.
Since your recent test has come back normal, there is no need to worry. A repeat test by the same doctor will not help.
You can get your serum Vitamin D 3 levels evaluated and can start with the supplementation in case there is any deficiency.
Also, consider going for a repeat test after three months to detect any deterioration in the bone density. Osteoporosis is an age related degenerative change more related to the hormonal levels. Genetic correlation is less likely.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.