Boil on groin, red, hot compress, pain due to friction while walking. Antibiotics for pain relief ?

I have a boil on my groin for the last 5 days - painful and red. Am doing hot compress. Is not increasing in size but painful as it rubs agasint the legs when walking. Anything else - painkiller or anitbiotic I can take ?
A am 50 yers old male
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

Before suggesting you any treatment, I would like to brief you about the cause of the boil in your groin area. The most probable reasons can be-

1. Boil or folliculitis- Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus. In size it is larger than a folliculitis.

2.Herpes simplex - Genital herpes is a very common disease caused by herpes virus type2. It results in small, very painful blisters (fluid is inside the lesion), genital irritation, itching, they burst into the sores turns into crust, that scab and heal in about 3 weeks.

To confirm the diagnosis we need to do a culture sensitivity of the discharge from the bump.

If it is folliculitis or boils, it will come out positive on bacterial cultures.

For cold sores, you need to get some investigations like sample from the sores to identify the virus, culture analysis, Tzanck smear, antigen and antibody studies and blood sampling for antibody studies done to confirm the diagnosis.

Direct clinical examination is essential to rule out the above conditions.

I would suggest you to get yourself examined by a dermatologist for proper diagnosis.

Meanwhile keep the area clean, do daily dressing, apply antiseptic ointment like neosporin and take a mild pain killer like ibuprofen for inflammation.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Boil on groin, red, hot compress, pain due to friction while walking. Antibiotics for pain relief ? 2 hours later
Thanks for your explaination - there is only one boil and appears similar in description to the first reason you mention (Boil or folliculitis). It does not seem to be anything like herpes that you have described.

I have taken a combiflam for pain which has helped. Is there a broad spectrum antibiotic also that I can take for a few days ?

Appreciate your response.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

If you feel that the description matches boil or folliculitis then taking a broad spectrum antibiotic like cloxacillin or azithromycin will be helpful after consulting with your doctor.

Apply warm compresses, to the area. This will decrease the pain and help draw the pus to the surface. Once the boil comes to a head, it will burst with repeated soakings. This usually occurs within five to seven days of its appearance.

When the boil starts draining, wash it with an antibacterial soap until all the pus is gone. Apply a medicated ointment like Betadine and a bandage. Continue to wash the infected area two to three times a day and to use warm compresses until the wound heals

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you an early recovery.