Boil near pubic area, brownish yellow discharge. Topical creams heal it, recurring. Cause of worry?

I have a boil near the top of my pubic area (approx. 1 cm). I have drained it several times, approx every 3 - 4 weeks over the past few months. After draining, I treated with topical anntibiotic ointment and it seems to heal up. Then a couple weeks later it swells up again (usually near the start or during my period) and I drain it again. Each time I drain it there is a good bit of XXXXXXX or dark yellow pus with a reddish pink tint. What could be causing this boil to return each month and should I be concerned?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 28 minutes later

Lump in the pubic area can be due to various reasons as:

1. Folliculitis: These are inflamed hair follicles. Such a bump responds to warm compresses and with topical antiseptics.

2. Sexually transmitted infections: If you have a history of sexual contact with an unknown partner then that possibility can also be suspected.

Proper diagnosis requires a proper physical examination of the boil. Since it has been recurring, you might consult a Gynaecologist who can examine and then decide on the appropriate treatment after confirming the cause.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.