Body tingles while coughing. Anything wrong?

Hello. Well, the last few days every time my boyfriend coughs really hard his body starts to tingle. Mainly in his arms and his fingers, but his legs do also. He isn't sick and his allergies haven't been bothering him - when he coughs its usually after he smokes. I was just wondering if there's anything in particular that could be wrong?
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normal phenomenon/reactive airway.Consult doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through the query and understood your concern.

Since he is not sick, not suffering from other symptoms and has this symptoms from few days, I like to exclude the following possible causes based on its features and relevant investigations where ever necessary

1. Normal protective phenomenon: Since the cough is a protective reflex, after smoking till the airway clears from the smoke particles he may cough and during that time due to decreased blood supply to periphery he may starts to tingle. If this is the cause then be relaxed, ask your boyfriend to quit smoking (at least for a week).

2. Due to smoking and irritation in the airway, the bronchoconstriction can happen causing decreased air to enter in lungs and may cause the above said problem. Needs to quit smoking for its management.

3. Bronchitis or Reactive airway (due to recent infection or allergy). If this is the cause then he needs examination by auscultation and a chest x-ray for diagnosis and further treatment with antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs.

4. Any current medication: Like beta agonist used for asthma / cough. This may cause tremors.

So these are the common causes for the symptoms. Ask your boyfriend to monitor his weight and get done complete haemogram once with doctor consultation just for general physical examination for diagnosis / or to rule out any problem. This will help to prevent any complications.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health.