Body shaking, anxiety, heaviness in limbs, lower back pain. What could this be?

my whole body is shaking, I have anxiety, my limbs feel heavy and the left lower side of my back is hurting. What could this be?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 56 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts of writing to us in so much of distress.

Important aspects of your query are:

• 30 year old female.
• History of PTSD, Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Gallbladder removed and Tubal ligation.
• Complaints of anxiety, body shake and heaviness of limbs.
• On medicine zoloft and clonazepam.

As you mention you are having many problems, included in the group anxiety disorder, like PTSD, Anxiety, and Panic Attacks.

In anxiety disorder apart from anxiety patient may also have several other symptoms like:

Cognitive symptoms: excessive worry related to health, finance/ decreased concentration/ forgetfulness
Motor symptoms: Tremors or shakiness, Spasms in body muscle, headache, body aches, backache, heaviness of body, rigidity
Autonomic symptoms: Palpitation, dry mouth

Your treatment is in the right direction as you are already on anti anxiety treatment.

Clonazepam relieves anxiety immediately (given only for short duration), but zoloft which contain sertraline may take 3-4 weeks (given for long duration) to show its effect after dose optimization.

Your symptoms will resolve soon. If one drug is not effective (in 1-2 month) then your psychiatrist may need to change medicine or add other anti anxiety medicine to treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.