Body pain and shivering fingers. Thyroid, BP and blood sugar normal. Not cured by vitamin E. Worrisome

Radiologist
Question
I am having body pain and a shivering in any finger (not specific) from last couple of months, even when i get up in the morning I don't feel fresh, always feel like sleeping. One of the doctor advised a thyroid, BP and blood sugar checking and i get it checked but everything was normal and finally he suggested Vitamin E capsules but that didn't worked.
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later

Without a physical examination, it is difficult to identify the possible condition. However based on your symptoms, the following are my comments:

1. Shivering fingers is associated with few conditions such as anxiety, hyperthyroidism, essential tremors, metabolic disturbances, etc. However if you also have tingling sensation this may be related to cervical intervertebral pathology like disc protrusion.

2. Body ache, feeling less refreshed after sleep and excessive sleepiness during the day are usually associated with incomplete or disturbed sleep pattern. I would like to know about your daily routine to understand your problem better. It would also be useful if you can answer the following questions:
1. Do you have snoring problem?
2. Do you work in night shift pattern?
3. Do you have any stress related condition?
4. Do you take any on the counter drug like cetrizine?
5. Do you upper limb shooting pain or radiculopathy?

I am glad to know that your basic investigations including thyroid check is normal.

Looking forward to your response...

Follow-up: Body pain and shivering fingers. Thyroid, BP and blood sugar normal. Not cured by vitamin E. Worrisome 1 hour later
1. I don't snore ..
2. I work in General shift and 5 days a week.
3. It is abnormal work related stress nothing abnormal.
4. I don't take drug what you have mentioned except like usual crocin, combiflam etc.
5. I don't have any pain in upper limb.

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 hours later
Welcome back,

It's good that you don't have any serious issues. You maybe suffering from non specific fibromyalgia. Please continue Vitamin E capsules, because it will have an antioxidant effect on body. However, it will take few weeks to have effect. Meanwhile, you can continue your analgesics like combiflam.

If symptoms persists, then MRI CERVICAL SPINE will be the investigation to rule out cervical inter-vertebral disc pathology. If the symptoms are worrisome, then it would be important to get it examined by a neurologist. Another condition to be ruled out is Adrenal fatigue. This can cause an unexplained tiredness.

Please do the following.
- Regular exercise- 45 minutes a day.
- Take plenty of water.
- Adequate sleep (At least 8 hours a day)

Hope I have addressed your query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Body pain and shivering fingers. Thyroid, BP and blood sugar normal. Not cured by vitamin E. Worrisome 7 hours later
Thanks Doc !

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
You are welcome to ask for any help in future.

Please do leave a review if you are satisfied with the answer. Thanks

Follow-up: Body pain and shivering fingers. Thyroid, BP and blood sugar normal. Not cured by vitamin E. Worrisome 5 hours later
How long i need to take this medicine ?

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 37 minutes later
Hi, welcome back.

Duration and dose depends on symptoms and response to therapy; overall 4 to 6 week therapy should suffice.

Hope your query has been answered by me.