Body cramps, nausea, tenderness in an area of leg. Bitten by insect / spider. What exactly bit me?

I think a spider got into my pants leg. I felt two bites feeling like bee stings then I squished it. I never saw the spider.Felt sick about an hour later and then had body cramps and nausea for at least a day after. a large area of my leg where I squished whatever bit me was not red and you couldn't tell that anything had happened but it felt sticky and was so painful to the touch I couldn't wear pants or have anything touch it. Can you tell me what bit me? I live in southern British Columbia.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for somebody your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations here.

From what you have described it sounds like you were bitten by some type of insect or spider. Sometimes with this type of bike a mild or moderate infection may develop under the skin.

I suspect that in your case after the bite your body reacted with generalized inflammation which probably caused some of your nausea as well as some of the aches you experienced.

At this point however if you are having significant pain still in your leg I would recommend that you visit with your antibiotics to prevent or reduce the symptoms of a mild infection. Usually you might experience redness and fever but sometimes this may not present in the case of a very mild infection.

Again if your symptoms are still persistent I would recommend you make an appointment to see your physician within the next couple days. If you develop systemic symptoms such as fevers or shaking chills I would recommend that you report to the emergency department for evaluation. Otherwise see your doctor in the next few days.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert