Blurry vision, discharge from eye, sore throat, fever, cough. Taking Ibuprofen. Cough persisting. Cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I've had a cold, sore throat, coughing, etc. for seven days. It all began with sore throat and low grade fever. Now I have a white discharge from my right eye and a film over my eye, making my vision blurry......I cough a lot and still have a sore throat.......although, the sore throat comes and goes and is helped with ibuprofen.........the cough is keeping me awake, however, I am coping better with that than with not being able to see clearly!
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Hi there.

Do you have fever, cough with yellow or blood-stained sputum ?

Any body pain, headache, yellowish or blood-stained discharge from the right eye ?

According to the clinical picture it fits into acute infective pharyngitis and infective conjunctivitis. This can arise out of infection spread by air and touch.

Hence it is advisable to avoid going near sick persons for a while and also washing your hands before or after touching your eyes, with sanitizer or soap and water. This will limit the spread of infection from yourself to others and vice versa.

You can wash your right eye in XXXXXXX warm water by a gentle stream. Do steam inhalation for your sore throat as it will reduce the edema and irritating feeling in the throaat, thrice a day. You can also do salt water gargles 3 times a day for best relief. Avoid taking Ibuprofen as it can cause stomach ulcers and renal failure if simply taken for every condition, it is not really needed here. You can take a safer medicine Acetaminophen for fever and pain if needed, under medical supervision.

Eat a healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Avoid junk food, smoking and drinking alcohol as they reduce body immunity to fight infections. Do daily moderate exercise. Avoid sunlight exposure, polluted environments.

You can take a Cough suppressant like Codeine syrup, under medical supervision. It will prevent the cough from occurring but also make you a bit drowsy.

It would be best to get an Ophthalmologist's consult as you may require your eye to be examined for deeper spread of infection and also choice of antibiotic drops needed. If your throat still bother you, do see an ENT Doctor.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.