Blurry eyes, head spinning. History of hypertension diabetes. Prescribed with Vertin

ENT Specialist
Question
DEAR SIR I AM 61 YERS OLD WITH BP AND SUGER. BOTH UNDER CONTROL.SUDDENLY 5 DAYS BACK
WHILE GETTING UP FROM BED MY HEAD HAD HORIZONTAL ROTAION LIKE FEELING LASTED FOR FEW SECONDS AND CAME TO NORMAL.MY EYES ALSO BLURRED A LITTLE.SAME SIMPTOMS WHEN I BEND DOWN.I WENT TO LOCAL DOCTOR HE ASKED ME TO TAKE VERTIN TAB 3 TIMES FOR ONE WEEK AND CONSULT NURO DOCTOR.NOW AFTER 3 DAYS I FEEL 75 PER RECOVERY.KINDLY ADVICE ME
Posted Sun, 3 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have woken up with vertigo, and it occurs on change of position such as lying down or getting up, is of short duration, has a latent period of a few seconds between change of head position and onset of vertigo, occurs on turning sides while lying in bed, occurs on looking at a top shelf, then it is BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo). It is curable. You will have to take treatment from a Neurotologist or an ENT Specialist who treats vertigo.

2. BPPV and Cervical Spondylosis would be common causes at your age. Dizziness may also be drug induced or due to long standing diabetes or hypertension.

3. I am assuming that your hearing (Pure Tone Audiogram) and middle ear pressure (Tympanogram) is normal and Meniere's Disease has been ruled out along with common causes such as anemia (low hemoglobin), blood pressure changes (Orthostatic hypotension). (Meniere's Disease includes fluctuating hearing loss, Vertigo, Tinnitus and Fullness in the ear).

4. An MRI Scan may be done so as not to miss the rare causes, however 99% Scans are normal. A Neurologists opinion is recommended. Central (brain related) vertigo will last all day long and even occur during walking or without change of head position. Multiple Sclerosis is rare cause and has many other symptoms and signs.

5. Direct observation of any vertigo nystagmus always helps in the diagnosis. An ENT Opinion is recommended before the MRI. It is also important to consult a neurologist to rule out neurological degenerations that can cause such symptoms. (MRI scans may not be enough to pick these conditions).

6. Please get your Cervical Spine X-rays done. Get a Neck Color Doppler Study done to rule out Carotid and Basilar Artery insufficiency.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.