Blurred vision, pain & dry eyes,flashing lights in eye, menopausal & history of migraines, glaucoma suspect, using lotemax. What?

For the last 4 days I have awakened with blurred vision. When driving to work in the dark I see rainbow halos around lights. It lasts 3-6 hours then resolves. It is generally not associated with headache but I do occasionally have an aching in the worst eye. Both eyes are symptomatic, one worse than the other. I have moderately severe dry eyes, am menopausal and have a history of migraines and supposedly ocular migraine. Recently I had one episode of a shower of flashing lights in my left eye that lasted a few minutes. I have been deemed a glaucoma suspect with pressures running 19-20 and am being monitored closely as I use Lotemax for the dry eye. The symptoms only happen in the morning, not at night. What could this be? My eye exam is scheduled for 2/1. Should I try to get in sooner? Thanks much.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 26 minutes later

Your symptoms are in line with the diagnosis of Glaucoma and you are also receiving the right treatment for the same.

Even if the pressures are within the normal range, there is an entity called normal pressure glaucoma which can come across with similar symptoms. What I would like to add at this point is without seeing the optic nerve through a slit lamp examination, I cannot come to a definite diagnosis.

The differential diagnosis for this would be normopressure Hydrocephalus. I strongly advice you to undergo a CT brain to rule it out and XXXXXXX a Neurologist.

Continue your medications and since your visit is more than 15 days away and you are facing visual problems please pre pone it. Also I would recommend you to abstain from driving for a while. It is not safe to drive with blurred vision.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Blurred vision, pain & dry eyes,flashing lights in eye, menopausal & history of migraines, glaucoma suspect, using lotemax. What? 1 hour later
Would not the morning blurred vision with seeing colored halos also be consistent with corneal edema, perhaps from some other cause than glaucoma?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Hello again,

Thank you for writing back.

Yes corneal edema can be one of the causes but it is not very common and other good point against it is that corneal edema most often due to either infection or inflammation is unilateral but what you are suffering from is bilateral.

Please accept my answer if you do not have any more queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery.