Blurred vision, Citalopram pills, atenolol daily, synthroid, work under fluorescent lighting

I have taken exactly two Citalopram pills and my vision gets blurry and crossed at work under industrial flourescent lighting. Is this normal. I stopped taking them last 4 days ago and I am still getting vision problems. I also take 50mg of atenolol daily and 0.05 mg of synthroid
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh, 12 hours later

Vision related problems are indeed reported with Citalopram. There also have been reports of retinal damage in rats after Citalopram administration. However, you may need to make sure this is not due to something else. It will be prudent to consult your Ophthalmologist for a thorough evaluation.

Keeping the possibility of these changes being caused by Citalopram, you may need to undergo relevant investigations to rule out any specific damage to the vision. You may also need to inform your doctor who prescribed Citalopram, about this incidence.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you want to discuss more. I will be glad to help you.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD