Blunt injury causing heat and swelling to areas. Underlying cause?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Blunt force trama injury to front of XXXXXXX immediate heat and swelling to areas. What's causing heat? What do I need to watch for?
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be Hematoma formation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Immediate formation of a swelling after blunt injury to XXXXXXX is usually due to HEMATOMA (blood clot). The local warmth is because of the hematoma as such and the resulting inflammation due to injury to the soft tissues.

Generally, these blunt injuries are not serious injuries and are self limiting. The only feared complication (though rare) especially in leg is the development of COMPARTMENT SYNDROME in which XXXXXXX bleeding occurs within the tight fascial comparments of leg causing injury to nerves & blood vessels by increased pressure. This condition needs emergency management. The warning signs & symptoms are
* Pain out of proportion to the injury
* significant pain and numbness in the toes of the leg
* Pulselessness and paralysis are late presentations.

An xray of the injured area is mandatory to rule out any bony injury.

The general treatment guidelines of your injury is as follows -

* Rest to the injured part and don’t involve in activities which puts additional strain on the injured tissues.
* Ice packing should be applied for about 20 minutes once in every 2 hours.
* Use elastic compression bandage around the swollen area
* Elevation of the limb
* Analgesic & anti inflammatory medications as needed

Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any more explanations