Blue lines started appearing all over body after shower. History of hypertension. Is this dangerous?

Pediatrician
Question
My son just called me from college to say that after a fairly warm shower, he noticed blue lines appearing on his whole body, starting from the torso. He did some pushups before the shower. He also has a history of hypertension since the age of 16, he is now 24. He has managed his blood pressure by changing diet and exercising. He does not take any medication for the hypertension. Please advise. Is it something dangerous? These blue Lines?
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I understand your concern and would appreciate if you can upload a photograph of the blue lines that you are describing using the facility provided on this site. This shall help us to guide you further but I do not think that they should be anything to worry about.

You mentioned that your son does not take any medication and has managed his blood pressure by changing diet and exercise. This is remarkable. However, he should monitor his blood pressure regularly and be under regular medical check-up/guidance.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you require any clarifications or would like to share more facts regarding the present issue.

Wishing your son all the best.

RKK

Follow-up: Blue lines started appearing all over body after shower. History of hypertension. Is this dangerous? 2 hours later
I have uploaded the picture. Please note the line on the forehead. This was the start of the problem. He got many more and then they subsided in about an hour. No other symptoms. Thanks in advance

Thanks for updating on the query by uploading the picture.

The blue line on the forehead is very unusual as it does not follow any antomical pattern. You mention that such lines appear on other parts of the body and subside in about an hour's time. This requires detailed examination and need to be observed as how they appear and disappear. I suggest that you get him examined by a doctor who may want him to be kept under observation. They are certainly not due to his blood pressure.

If it was a bruise due to some sharp item being run over the skin, it would certainly not disappear in an hour's time and would have some signs of inflammation. I note that the left side of the forehead, left ear and even the left eye appear congested. Is this his normal colour or he injured this side of the face?

I hope I have provide satisfactory response to your query. Please feel free to seek any clarifications.

RKK

Follow-up: Blue lines started appearing all over body after shower. History of hypertension. Is this dangerous? 17 hours later
There is no bruise, It may be the way the light is falling on his face and causing a shadow. You may see a small XXXXXXX on the top of his left eyebrow but that is from an old cut. We are taking him to the doctor tonight.
Thank you for your help

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Yes, it does not appear to be a bruise as that will take days to disappear. You may be right that the effect of light may be giving an appearnace of congestion on the left side of forehead, left ear and left eye. The old scar was noted.

You are doing the right thing by consulting a doctor. Do keep us posted of the development.

Wishing your son all the best.

RKK