Blotchy red areas on inside forearms, no pain or itching. What to do ?

Dermatologist
Question
I have blotchy red areas on my inside forearms that lessen quite a bit in intensity for a few seconds if I raise my arms overhead for a few seconds no itchiness or pain.
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 23 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

Redish areas which decrease in intensity on raising the arms can be capillary ,venous, arterial malformations.

Also I would like to know
-Since when you have these lesions?
-Do they disappear on giving pressure over the area ?
-Are they elevated/raised flat?
-Are you on any medication presently?

Also photos of the affected area will be very helpful in predicting the condition.
You can upload photos using feature on right hand side of this page.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Blotchy red areas on inside forearms, no pain or itching. What to do ? 33 minutes later
Hello, I have had it for 3-4 months, seems to spread on left arm to nearly one big splotch, less so on right arm, they are not raised and recede momentarily with pressure. It is not raised and I am not under any medication.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later
Hi again ,

After going through the details provided by you It appears to be a capillary malformation. However it can be many other things also.As you have not provided photographs It is difficult to predict the condition.

Capillary malformation is a benign vascular proliferation.
A careful observation for few months is all that is needed. If it enlarges or causes symptoms in you than treatment may be sought.
Treatment is usually by surgery and laser treatment.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have further queries you can ask them to me.

Dr Sudarshan