Blotchy neck and flushing cheeks after speaking. How to control this?

Dec 2014

I am a team leader and every time I have to speak to my large team I get a blotchy neck and cheeks flush.
I don't consider myself a nervy person but do need to control this ?
Ay suggestions ?
It soon calms down when I start to tAlk but I'm very aware of it and would like some guidance to control it

Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 47 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

I have understood your problem. You are a team leader and every time you have to speak to team you get cheek flush and blotchy neck. It is a common problem in a lot of individuals. It may affect the occupational functioning. It is also called as Performance Anxiety and it is a part of like Beta Blockers as Propranolol, Atenolol are very useful in this situation. These medicines are needed to take before any important presentation and help to control the symptoms.

Non Medicinal treatment is Behavior Therapy. In BT individual is first of all taught to relax him/herself by Progressive Muscle Relaxation Technique. When relaxation is learned then individual can easily identify the changes in body while facing anxious situations. By relaxation he can easily control the flushing and other symptoms.
Assertive training is other method to improve confidence.
Other method although non specific, but very beneficial is to practice to speak first against small group of individuals and then gradually progress to large group. It is a common problem and all you need is to improve your confidence.

As per my opinion for some time if your work is hampering then you can go for medicine. The medicines are to be taken on SOS basis and there are no side effects with medicines.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again in follow up.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
(Consultant Psychiatrist)