Bloop pressure. Having gas reflex attacks. Waking up in night frequently and total hysteria/panics. Guide?

Question
OK, here we go. Recently, after battling jumps in blood pressure, I've mentioned that I started to have gag reflex attacks. I had them for a week, then they stopped, and then they re-appeared again today. Happened during eating today. Plus, I've been having all sorts of dreams, waking up frequently, and total hysteria/panics. What that might be?
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

I presume you mean "hiccups" when you say recurring gag reflex attacks. Correct me in the follow up if I'm wrong.

Hiccups are generally caused by gastritis or autonomic disturbances secondary to metabolic changes. They do not directly associated to night dreams, frequent night awakenings or panic attacks.

You can try Proton pump inhibitors and antacids for a few days. I think omeprazole available as prilosec otc is over the counter in most countries. You can try that with mucaine gel syrup for a few days. If hiccups continue to persist, you may need to get your blood electrolytes, creatinine, sugar and TSH tested.

Interestingly you said that you were battling high blood pressure. Are you on any diuretic(water) pill? If yes, that can be related.

Besides that, I would like to know why you wake up frequently at night. Are you out of breathe? If yes, you need to plan for sleep study.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.

Best regards.