Blood work shows high WBC count. Having pain in hip. Any arthritis problem?

Sep 2012

A few months ago I got blood work done and it was a bit abnormal my WBC count was a little high, the RDW was a little high, the Absolut gran was high and the platelet count was high. so I was referred to a hematologist to get a check up but my mom died and I never did. In the meantime my hip and lower back have been hurting sometimes I limp all day in pain and my rheumatologist assumed it was my arthritis since i have some osteoarthritis in my hip and knees but it has been getting worse, so she ordered a MRI of the bad hip and sent me to a orthopedic doctor. He said there was only mild arthritis in the hip but the pain I was describing was probably coming from another part of the pelvis or hip region. He was more concerned about the lesions he saw on the right hip so he ordered a MRI with contrast , a bone scan , and blood work for tomorrow. He is testing for my SED rate, rheumatoid factor, ESR and CRV on the blood work. Doc taking into account the blood and the lesion my mind automatically goes to some sort of cancer. What do you think?
Posted Thu, 3 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, without knowing the report of MRI scan, it is not possible to comment on any possibility. But, from your previous blood report, some abnormality may be found. But, without the total investigation, it cannot said definitely.

ESR plays an important role in this condition. If it is higher, then the possibilities are plasma cell dyscrasias. They may be harmful or harmless. Its character could be commented only after doing a bone marrow aspiration or biopsy, tests for bence XXXXXXX proteins in urine, immunoglobulin abnormality.

If the ESR is low, and the lesion is not osteolytic then it may indicates bone disease. The nature can only be told after the bone scan and contrast enhanced MRI.

You can follow up with me alongwith the reports of all the tests that has been ordered.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Blood work shows high WBC count. Having pain in hip. Any arthritis problem? 32 hours later
I don't have the report but I have the images from the bone scan , can I have an e-mail to send them to, it won't let me upload them the file is to big
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 11 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, the report is important. Because, the molecules those were targeted during scan is only known to the radiologist who has done it.

So, it would be better to upload the report when you have that.