Blood work shows elevated bun/creatine ratio, sgot, sgpt. Should worry ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
on my bloodwork my bun/creatine ratio, sgot and sgpt are slightly elevated why?
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Mild rise in bun/ creatinine ratio may be suggestive of a mild renal dysfunction due to the effect of long standing or uncontrolled diabetes on your kidneys. Keeping the blood glucose levels well under control will help in improving the raised levels.

The commonest cause of mild rise in SGOT and SGPT is fatty liver. It could be due to being overweight, excessive oily diet intake, alcohol intake, etc. In case the rise in the levels is significant and persistent then proper treatment might be needed after consulting your gastroenterologist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.