Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood work showed excess protein in urine. Could a shake protein cause this?

I had blood work and it showed excess protein in my urine. I have been drinking a shake protein drink the last few months to lose weight and it contains 3 different types of proteins. Could this be causing this issue?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Drinking a protein shake with high levels of protein might cause the appearance of protein in urine. The other causes which need to be excluded are urinary infection, hypertension, diabetic nephropathy, etc.
You need a thorough evaluation from your physician to find out any renal problem involved before attributing your symptom to a high protein in take.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.