Blood work showed elevated SGOT and SGPT levels. Is there any link between lisinopril and elevated levels?

Recent bloodwork shows slightly elevated sgot - 38.00 (0 - 37 norms) & sgpt 44.00 (0 - 40 norms) up from 21.00 & 20.00 respectivly in 2007. CEA level is 0.570 ng/ml and all other bloodwork is well within normal limits. I drink alchohol moderately at best and drink less now than than 5 - 10 years ago. I have also been taking Lisinopril since 2006 - 10 mg - daily. I not overly concerned as these levels are just north of normal but was wondering if there Is a link between the lisinopril and the elevated levels or should I have other concerns?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

One of the very rarely seen side effects of lisinopril is jaundice or hepatitis which can be reflected in abnormal liver enzymes. In both of these conditions, however, the levels would usually be alot higher than this, as you correctly stated they are just above the norm.
Jaundice would also be associated with yellowing of the eyes, change in the color of the urine ( it becomes very dark) and the stool ( it can become very light), it is also associated with intense itching.
These values are not indicative of this condition.

Mild elevations of these tests are common- it can occur in conditions such as (1)fatty liver (deposits of fat in the liver which if severe will eventually affect its function) which can occur in anyone with excess weight or with alcohol use (2) alcohol use (3) infections of the liver though these would usually cause much larger increases in the levels

SGOT and SGPT can provide information on other parts of the body than the liver such as the muscle.

I do not think these levels, because the increase is minimal, is a reason for concern, but your doctor will likely decide to monitor them to see if they will increase.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.Feel free to ask any additional questions