Blood work showed Vitamin D deficiency. What is the safe dose during the period of unsafe sex?

hi, I had bloodwork done last month, seems i have vitamin D defficiency, the lab result show that my vit D level is 5, and the minimum should be 20. I'm planning to get pregnant so what's the safe dose in this period of unsafe sex?,in my country we only have vitamin D supplies in 2 forms 5000 IU or 50,000 IU
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query
It is indeed a very interesting topic and I will like to share few points with you.
VIT D deficiency in pregnancy or in women thinking of getting pregnant is a real important issue and scientific studies have shown that maternal VIT D deficiency permanently injures fetal brains and therefore they should be adequately and properly treated.
Treatment of choice for human VIT D deficiency is colecalciferol known as VIT D.
Colecalciferol when given in dose of 1000 IU / day results in about 10ng/ml elevation of VIT D when given over 3 to 4 months.
Therefore when given in a patient like you having a level of 5ng/ml ,you would require a dose of 3000 IU/day for several months to achieve a level of 35ng/ml

You should take 0000 IU of colecalciferol every week for 8 weeks and then 0000 IU monthly for a year.
You can take 0000 IU daily for 8 weeks and then 0000 IU monthly for a year.
You should evaluate your VIT D levels every 3 months.
Last and very important fact....VIT D toxicity is a very rare entity and practically no physician ever sees this.
So don't worry and take your VIT D
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: Blood work showed Vitamin D deficiency. What is the safe dose during the period of unsafe sex? 23 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX I'm really greatfull for this great detailed answer :)
I decided to take 0000 IU Daily,I need you to clarify the following for me ,please:
-If I get pregnant should I continue with this Dose?
-If I get pregnant while My vitamin D level is not in the normal range(I.e if I discover this month that I'm pregnant),will my infant be at risk?
Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 11 minutes later
You continue your dose even if you become pregnant.
Becoming pregnant now at this low level of VIT D may be risky.
Ideally you wait for couple of months before getting pregnant,as that will remove all doubts.