Blood work showed EGFR level. Prescribed with Benicar. Proper treatment?

Just recent blood work showed my EGFR, non-african american level at 43. I'm currently prescribed Benicar (bp is under control with it), simvastatin, and various COPD/allergy meds. I'm a 51 yr old female
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Estimated glomerular filtration rate is used to provide an idea of kidney function. It is calculated using blood levels of creatinine and is affected by age, race and and sex of the person.

The normal result is considered greater than at least 60, so 40 is a little below the normal range and implies slight decrease in renal function.
Your doctor may consider repeating it to ensure its accuracy.If the value remains about the same then efforts would be made to reduce any further problems with the kidneys.
In addition, if the reason for the decline in function is unclear, further tests may be suggested such as an ultrasound.

You stated that your blood pressure is under control, in persons with issues with the kidneys, the goal is a blood pressure less than 130/80 mmHg. You are already on a kidney protective anti hypertensive medication.
It is also important to control any other risk factors such as diabetes and high cholesterol , so your doctor may check these levels.
At some stage your doctor may advise that you visit a dietician to obtain ideas about appropriate use of protein.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Blood work showed EGFR level. Prescribed with Benicar. Proper treatment? 4 minutes later
Ok, thanks. My blood work from 6 months ago had the same number. My dr. mentioned that it's a good sign that it didn't worsen during the past 6 months.

Additionally my blood sugar is normal - 84.

My diet consists of a lot of protein. :(
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Ok, it is good that there is no progression.

Normally for impaired kidney disease a slight reduction in protein intake is indicated to reduce the load on the kidneys.Normally no more than 0.8g/kg/day is advised.
You can consider speaking to your doctor to find out whether based on all of your tests , if this is necessary at your stage.
It would require speaking to a nutritionist to find the protein content in different meals.

Feel free to ask any other questions