Blood work reveals high liver enzymes. Feeling dizzy, headaches, vomiting. What can cause elevated live enzymes ?

My 26 year old daughter with hx of mono (long term before dx), pancreatitis requiring hospitalization (2x), PID, eczema & depression treated with Lithobid (3yrs treatment) has been sick for over a year. Never seems to get over colds, numerous sore throat episodes, sinus/ear infections, vomiting, diarrhea, depressive episodes, bruises easily/long to heal and systemic swelling. Is currently experiencing right side flank pain, dizziness, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, stopped up ears & sinuses. 3 weeks ago blood work revealed high liver enzymes which have only been getting higher and 2 days ago blood & protein showed up in her urinalysis. Negative for Hepatitis, hemachromitosis & kidney infection/blockages & negative for bacterial ear/sinus infection.She is scheduled for liver ultrasound Monday morning & more blood/urine tests and meets with a gastroenterologist on Tuesday. Any ideas as to what has caused elevated liver enzymes & blood and protein in urine? Could her liver be failing her? What particular things will gastroenterologist check for & what questions should we ask? Also, are there any symptoms we should be aware of that might require trip to ER before Monday?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 22 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

I understand your concern and am very sorry to learn your daughter's condition. I will do my best to provide you with some useful information.

In view of the systemic or multi-organ involvement and some of the investigations being normal the likehood of her having an autoimmune disease most likely Systemic lupus erythematosis (SLE) is high.
Specially in the age group your daughter is in.

Hepatitis, enteritis and nephritis are a known manifestation of this disease, This would need a consultation with your immunologist also. Diagnosed and managed early this can be well contained.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back to me if you have additional concerns.

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery.