Blood work had iron elevated, ALT SGPT slightly high. Exercising appropriately. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I exercise a ton and getting ready for another IRonman. My blood work came back and my iron is elvated and I am one point higher than the norm for ALT SGPT. my iron is 204 and ALT SGPT 57.
What is going on.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Mild rise in body iron levels can be seen in conditions like- genetic disorders such as hereditary hemochromatosis, hemolytic anemia, multiple blood transfusions, a high dietary intake of iron and alcoholism.
The mild rise in liver enzyme ALT (Alanine amino transferase) can be related to the raised iron stores in the body. Such a mild rise is not significant and is not suggestive of any pathology. Do not worry.
You need to avoid alcohol, shellfish and nutritional supplements containing iron and vitamin C.
Most of the times such minor dietary modifications are sufficient to bring the levels back to normal. You can go for a repeat test after 3 months to monitor any change in the levels.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Blood work had iron elevated, ALT SGPT slightly high. Exercising appropriately. Suggest? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. I called my relative, who is a medical doctor, and he said my iron levels are fine. He also said my other number with regards to the ALT is probably because I have been taking in 1000 mg of Vit. C at least 4-5x's a week. Too much!

I am otherwise healthy and feel good. No other signs are symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Yes. I agree with the doctor; marginal rise in levels is not worrisome and do not indicate a serious pathology.

Reducing the vitamin C supplements that you are taking will definitely help in lowering the levels.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.