Blood work done for chest pain and cough. What does the value signify?Any thoughts?

Question
Hi I did a blood work for my chest pain and cough.
the results were as follows
CBC-Everything else was under normal limits the Lymphocytes were 47% the normal limits were 20-40%.earlier In april I had a CBC done the I had a lymphocyte count of 41%.
Lipid Profile everything is normal except VLDL which is 56% (10-35% is the normal ) and Total /HDL cholestrol ratio which is 5.125 (0-4.9)
I am anxious why the lymphocyte count is on a rise and the incrased values in my LIPID profile can you please guide.
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 36 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Your CBC report is showing relative Lymphocytosis.

The causes of relative Lymphocytosis are Viral infection, Addison's disease, Thyrotoxicosis, Spleenomegaly etc.

VLDL cholesterol contains high amount of triglycerides, thus it is harmful.

Your Cholesterol level is slightly higher, thus you are at higher risk of heart disease.

You should reduce your fat consumption, and do exercises regularly.

Atorvastatin can be given to reduce cholesterol level.

You should consult a Physician to examine you, your BP & Heart and find out cause of Lymphocytosis and treatment.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma

Follow-up: Blood work done for chest pain and cough. What does the value signify?Any thoughts? 4 minutes later
recently I had no Viral infections or anything so what can be the cause of high lymphocytes and also my HDL and LDL levels are well under limits so how bad is VLDL.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 25 minutes later

Welcome again,

I have mentioned the common causes and it is not possible to find out exact cause without examination.

Increase in % shows relative increase of lymphocytes only, while the absolute count of lymphocytes might be normal.

As VLDL cholesterol contains high amount of triglycerides, thus its increase means increase of triglycerides.

High triglycerides level is associated with increased risk of high blood pressure and coronary artery disease, which can lead to heart attack or stroke.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma