Blood work done. Doing regular exercise and eating balanced diet. What does the report suggest?

Jan 2013

Thank you. I had some blood work done which showed hemoglobin of 9.5 but all of my B-12, iron, and vitamin D were all normal. Red blood cells 4.4 and white count seemed fine. I am trying to figure this out. Can you explain or tell me how to get the numbers back up? I exercise daily (40 minute cardio plus weights etc) and I eat a healthy balnaced diet.
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 39 minutes later

Thanks for putting your query.

1) All your blood reports are with in normal limits except your hemoglobin (9.5).

2) Anaemia may be due to decreased hemoglobin synthesis/ excessive blood loss.

3) Decreased blood synthesis occur in bone marrow suppression/ bone marrow infiltration/ decrease availability of required substances/ in anemia of chronic inflammation, in which all ingredients are normal and present abundantly but body is not able to utilize.

4) Excessive blood loss occur from oral route (hemetemesis/ hemoptysis )/ anal route (hemorrhoids/ anal fissure/ colon cancer)/ excessive menstrual blood loss (kindly mention your sex).

5) Workup of anemia requires (apart from your normal blood test mentioned by
a) Peripheral blood film- to rule out microcytic/ macrocytic/ normochromic
normocytic anemia.
b) Peripheral blood film- to rule out intravascular/ extravascular destruction of
c) Peripheral blood film- to rule out abnormal shaped blood cells.
d) Serum folic acid
e) Complete Iron Profile: MCV, MCH, MCHC, Serum ferritin level, Total iron
capacity, serum transferrin level.
f) Hemoglobin electrophoretic study to rule out hemoglobin variant/ thallassemia.

6) You should go for above desired investigations to get the actual cause of anemia.

7) You should also consult with physician and hematologist.

You may put your other query if you have.

Best regards,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava