Blood work clear, ECG done. Am I having bipolar disease?

im sure i have bipolar, i have been see a psychatrist, he has sent me for an ECG? dont know why i need a heart trace?and full blood works they have come back clear, however im going too see him again in 2 months he says i might have rapid bi polar, (but he states he does not like dishing out LABELS?) oh thats good?
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Bipolar Disorder
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later

Bipolar disorder is a major psychosis where person shows signs of depression at one time which are immediately followed by opposite mental state, that is state of excitement, well being, excessive talkativeness and grandeur which is called Mania.

This cycle continues.

Sometimes patients present to doctor in depressive phase and when treated with antidepressants, the mania ensues which is difficult to control.

Your doctor is getting your ECG done to detect any pre-existing Cardiac arrhythmia or ischemic heart disease because the drugs used for bipolar psychosis are potentially arrhythmogenic and need a stable state of myocardium.

Your clinician is evaluating you for rapid bipolar variant, based on your history because in that case you may need a combination of drugs.

I hope that answers your query. Please do write back if you need further clarifications on this.