Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood work and Urinalysis revealed slight trace of blood in urine. Having back pain and taking NSAID. Guide?

Hi I had complete blood work done and urinalysis done my doctor said all my level were great the only thing that came up was a slight trace of blood in my urine but he said I have nothing to worry about it sometimes happen I believe it happened last year a light trace of blood in my urine. I had blood work on the 30th and just started my menstrualcycle cycle yesterday he said that it can be from that. I had an abdominal ultrasound last year and my doctors said my kidneys were fine. I have been taken NSAID for my back pain which is caused by muscle pain and been doing a lot of exercises too can that cause it to happen.
Asked by Me , 5 hours ago     
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 38 minutes later
Welcome to the forum.
I went through your history.
Trace of blood in urine needs to be further evaluated or quantified by doing what is called urine microscopy for red blood cells and needs to be done when you do not have monthly periods. The urine is centrifuged and the deposit is submitted for microscopic examination. If the result is more than 3 per hpf , you need further evaluation, like cystoscopy. I am happy that the scan is normal.

Repeated NSAID intake in the long run can cause what is called analgesic nephropathy, leading to kidney failure and so it is not wise to do so. It is not related to the presence of trace blood in the urine.

Hope this helps.
Best regards