Ask a Dentist   »  

Blood while brushing from gums. Is it due to smoking? What else can cause it?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Hello Doctor,
Every morning when i brush my teeth I get blood oozing out of my gums, not sure what could be the reason. Sametime I dont have any pain nor bad odour.
I have a smoking habit at present and i smoke around 2-3 cigs per day, is this impacting on my teeth?

thanks and regards
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 17 hours later

Thank you for the query.

The most common reason for bleeding while brushing is tartar deposits around the teeth. The tartar irritates the gums surrounding the teeth and causes the injury. Any mechanical touch [like in brushing] to the injured part of the gums leads to bleeding. You have to consult your dentist for cleaning of teeth [Scaling of teeth]. The dentist will take away the tartar around the teeth surface with the help of ultrasonic scaler.

After professional cleaning procedure, you have to improve the brushing method and timing. Use soft tooth brush and toothpaste containing fluoride. Take peanut sized paste, put it all along the brushing part of the bristles and gently push it in between the bristles so that paste is available till the completion of brushing. Brush you upper teeth downwards and lower teeth upwards. Follow the order while brushing which means if you start lower right side cheek surface, complete the entire cheek surface of lower teeth then biting surface then surface which is facing the tongue. Similarly, the upper teeth. By doing like this every surface of every tooth is mechanically cleaned by brush. You are expected to brush after every food, if not at least as soon as you get up, immediately after morning break-fast and immediately after last food of the day [not just before bed-time because the maximum damage to the teeth is within first 30 minutes after food consumption]. The duration for each brushing session should be of average 2 minutes only. Do flossing once daily after last food of the day. Clean your tongue with tongue cleaner.

Yes, smoking does impacts the health of teeth and its supporting structures. It is better to quit the habit. It not only impacts the teeth, it takes toll on your general health also.

Hope this give you the clarifications, if yes kindly accept the answer. If need any more clarifications you are most well-come.

With regards,