Blood transfusion done. Got infected with hepatitis. Prescribed strontium. Can this damage liver?

Question
ABOUT 45 YEARS AGO I HAD SURGERY AND A BLOOD TRANSFUSION. TEN DAYS LATER I ENDED UP IN THE HOSPITAL WITH HEPATITIS NON A NON B, LATER CALLED C. RECENTLY I WAS GIVEN A PRESCRIPTION FOR FLOSAMAX BUT AFTER READING THE INFO DECIDED NOT TO TAKE IT BECAUSE OF POSSIBLE LIVER DAMAGE. I AM VERY CAREFUL ABOUT TAKING MEDS. I AM INTERESTED IN TRYING STRONTIUM BUT CAN'T FIND INFO ON LIVER DAMAGE. I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP. THANK YOU,XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 19 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

You are looking for information on any possible effects on the liver by administration/use of strontium, correct?

Well, there have been absolutely no adverse effects on the liver, noted during years of clinical trials and research with strontium.

For your information I shall list the adverse effects observed in a few patients. They are:
-Commonly seen (i.e. in 5-10% of patients using strontium): bone pain, decreased platelet count, anemia, nausea, reduced appetite, reduced white blood cell count, vomiting
-Rare (<1%): bone marrow depression, pyrexia, diarrhea, fractures, joint hyperextension

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications or information. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.